Tuesday, August 12, 2014

O Africa by Andrew Lewis Conn My Review


 
O Africa by Andrew Lewis Conn a novel about a changing time in the movie industry wrapped around the lives of two brothers who are successful in the silent era trying to keep their success in talkies.
 


This book is about the movie industry when it is going from silent movies to talkies. It is about two brothers, one who is  bold, outrageous and always taking chances who is a director while his brother is more introverted, afraid to rock the boat so to speak, and he is the camera man who does the shoots for the movies he and his brother make. They get sent to Africa to shoot film that then can be sold to other pictures and studios to use in their movies. A new way to make money for their production company and partners. Africa seems to be trouble for them and a lot of problems arise for them.

 

I never give a bad review but I must say I was disappointed by this book. I was hoping to have it more about the movie industry and less about their dysfunctional  personal life.  This is not a book for me,  but maybe others might like it. I can not recommend it.  What little it talked about the movie industry is good but it seems to be more about the sexual exploits,  and trouble the two can get in than the industry of making movies in an era of change for the industry.  I won't be reading anymore books by this author.

 

If you want more info you can check out this:
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/232106/o-africa-by-andrew-lewis-conn

http://www.randomhouse.com/author/181923/andrew-lewis-conn

I received a copy of this book from Blogging for Books for my honest opinion and review

No comments:

Post a Comment